Re: Debianizing the Java world?

On 12/05/13 21:11, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 05/11/2013 10:12 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> On 11/05/13 04:35, Paul Wise wrote:
>>> I think you want to discuss this on the debian-java list instead.
>>>

>> The reason I posted here is that the concept is just as viable for other
>> languages with their own distribution systems (e.g. R and Drupal both
>> have their own package distribution mechanisms) and also because the
>> Java issues go beyond those of us who develop in Java - e.g. people now
>> use Eclipse for C++ and Python development.
>
> Indeed, but then eclipses uses autofoo and distutils and not maven :)

That is Eclipse itself - but there is a mighty stack of plugins
accessible through the official (and third party) marketplaces and they
are likely to be built in many different ways.

The foundation of this effort would simply be to systematically scan
projects (whether they are Java or not, Ivy, Maven, whatever) and try to
work out how many of them provide enough detail in some common place
(such as the Maven <scm/> data) to locate the source code and obtain
individual tags.

>From there, it would be possible to build some percentage of projects
automatically and prove that they are genuinely free.

It's not a silver bullet, but it may be a useful starting point.