Re: Switching default dpkg-deb compressor to xz

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell wrote:

>> It's too new to say if it has no long term problems (ie, such as
>> support issues).

> xz has been supported in Debian for some time, with no problems that I'm
> aware of.

It's also being widely adopted by upstreams and is now (moderately)
encouraged by the GNU autotools for distributions, although a lot of more
conservative GNU projects continue to use gzip.  However, at least one of
the gzip maintainers has encouraged people switch to xz and believes it's
less likely to have security issues.  (Apparently the gzip code isn't
structured horribly well.)