Re: Switching default dpkg-deb compressor to xz

Hi!

On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 12:03:13 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 11:17:39AM +0200, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> > On 05/07/2013 21:49, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > > As mentioned some months ago [0], I'm planning to switch dpkg-deb default
> > > compressor from gzip to xz, as there seemed to be consensus that was
> > > the way to go, and given the amount of already manually switched
> > > packages, or packaging helpers. :/
> > >
> > >   [0] <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/08/msg00822.html>
> >
> > Do you plan to switch the default compression for source packages to xz
> > as well?

I've not proposed this for now, because I don't think we've discussed
it previously. But I'm happy to do the switch for V2+ formats (not for
V1) at the same time (or during the dpkg 1.17.x cycle) if there's also
consensus for it.

> Would be great -- as opposed to ancient xz-less systems that can be an issue
> for debootstrap, source packages are always safe.  If you backport to a
> version of Debian that old, you're deep in recursive backport land anyway
> and having one more tool to backport isn't a hurdle.

Right.

Thanks,
Guillem