Re: multiarch and interpreters/runtimes

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:01:17PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 04:18:38PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:

> > I don't see a need to have the perl:i386 interpreter installed on amd64
> > in order to build third party i386 perl modules, the amd64 interpreter
> > should be fine, just as it is when cross building third party armel perl
> > modules.
>
> But you need the foreign-architecture libperl installable, for the perl
> modules to be linked against.

I don't think you do. The modules aren't linked against libperl, it's
the other way around: libperl loads them at run time with dlopen(3).
They are effectively plugins in a private directory.

Obviously a few header files specific to the target architecture
are needed, but that should be enough AFAICS.
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org