Re: multiarch and interpreters/runtimes

On 18 April 2013 19:13, Sergei Golovan <sgolovan@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Andrew Shadura <bugzilla@tut.by> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> By the way, have you contacted Sergei on this?
>
> I saw the bugreports and I'm planning to start working on them after
> wheezy release.

Yeah there is no rush really. We pushed the patches to ubuntu,
realised that it's silly to have tcl multiarched without tk, then had
full archive rebuild noticed loads of things failing and hence tweaked
up tcltk-defaults to provide "compat" Config.sh scripts (basically
call dpkg-architecture and source correct default Config.sh from
multiarch location). And even after that a few things still required
manual patching.

The package history in launchpad has all the debdiffs as usual, and
debian pts should have links to those as well by now ;-)

I'm sure a few things are still missing for the initial
multiartification, but it did help cross-building a few
reverse-(build)-depends already (which was the original wookey's
driving intend).

If there are any questions, or more cleanedup / rebased debdiffs
required I am more than happy to help out. But somehow I am expecting
loads of transitions to start early in jessie and a big havoc for a
few months =)))))

>> > Personally, I'm not yet convinced about this interpreter
>> > multiarchification, but hey Debian is a Universal OS ;-) and I don't
>> > see any reason to not do this.
>>
>> Well, it may make sense, but really there will be not many people
>> running foreign interpreters at all, in my opinion.
>>
>> Is there a wiki page on Tcl/Tk multiarchification?
>
> Not yet.

I'm not sure we need one. Transition tracker setup in ben, might help
though to track the transition to the multi-arched lib packages.