Re: multiarch and interpreters/runtimes

Hello,

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:07:44 +0100
Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@debian.org> wrote:

> > On 18 April 2013 16:41, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:
> >>  - Tcl/Tk: Wookey and Dimitrij did start on that in Ubuntu, patches
> >>    are available in Debian bug reports.
> >>    Currently the shared libraries are split out into separate
> >> packages, and are co-installable. Not yet tested if this enough to
> >> run an embedded interpreter.

> > Could I please have more info? :)

> Well there are patches to move .so libraries from /usr/lib/tk8.*/ to
> /usr/lib/$(MULTIARCH)/tk8.*, same for tcl and matching tcltk-defaults
> package to have similar symlinks everywhere.
> And basically mark that package with .so's as multiarch:same. The
> interpreter packages are still not marked multi-arch anything. And as
> doko said, there wasn't anything else done e.g. test embedded
> interpreter use-case.

By the way, have you contacted Sergei on this?

> Personally, I'm not yet convinced about this interpreter
> multiarchification, but hey Debian is a Universal OS ;-) and I don't
> see any reason to not do this.

Well, it may make sense, but really there will be not many people
running foreign interpreters at all, in my opinion.

Is there a wiki page on Tcl/Tk multiarchification?

To Sergei (added to Cc): I'd like to join the effort in packaging Tcl/Tk
and stuff, as I said before; but as you've been the most active person
on the team for quite some time I'm a bit hesitant about interrupting
the process by committing things :) I guess, we need some
co-ordination; also, in my opinion, the mailing list needs revival.

--
WBR, Andrew