Re: Legal possibility of more open package reviews.

]] Jonathan Dowland

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:11:13PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > On 04/10/2013 05:36 PM, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> > > The first point has been handled by zack, and we have on hand a legal document,
> > > vetted by SFLC lawyers, that makes the mentors platform a "DMCA safe harbor".
> >
> > Does it mean that it is mandatory that mentors is hosted in USA?
>
> I thought to ask the opposite: could this work be avoided simply by hosting m.d.o
> in a country which does not honour the DMCA?

It would mean possible interesting legal challenges for people uploading
crypto software from the US, since there would have been an export with
no corresponding BXA declaration.  IANAL, but my understanding is that
it could land the person doing the export in quite a bit of trouble.

> Assuming we have some DSA assets in such countries. But I presume the
> mentors admins and/or DSA have thought of that…

We have machines outside the US, yes, the biggest ones are/will be in
.ca, .de, .uk and .gr.

--
Tollef Fog Heen