Re: Legal possibility of more open package reviews.

Hi Charles,

On 10-04-13 00:56, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 05:54:14PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
>>
>>> Suggestion #3: have a system where any other DD can review
>>> a package in the NEW queue, not only the FTP masters or the
>>> FTP assistants.
>>
>> That would include publishing the contents of the NEW queue,
>> at least to all Debian Developers - so we might violate
>> licenses already.
>
> I have not read any convincing argument in favor of our current practice, not
> to mention that most arguments are guesses on the reasons of the persons in
> charge rather than a clear statement from the persons in charge themselves.
>
> We do not have much measures in place to ensure that our archive does not
> contain packages that start to violate licenses after their first upload.  In
> parallel, we have a lot of download points that are not subjected to copyright
> and license review.  I do not see a reason why the NEW queue must be more
> perfect than both our archive and the rest of the non-aptable files we
> distribute.

It is a mistake to believe that NEW queue handling only exists for the
benefit of license compliance checking. Yes, that is a big part of it,
but AIUI, the ftp-masters need to do a lot more than that for packages
in NEW.

--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy
requires you to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once,