Re: Interactive package management via aptitude

Hi,

> Le Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 06:02:27PM +0300, Eugene Lychauka a écrit :
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.html#pkgmgmt
> >
> > Here we can read:
> >
> > "The preferred program for interactive package management from a
> > terminal is aptitude. For a non-interactive command line interface for
> > package management, it is recommended to use apt-get."
> >
> > What is meant by interactive interface and non-interactive interface
> > here? I understand it as typing "aptitude install foo" is
> > non-interactive interface, and the text-user interface of aptitude
> > launched by typing "aptitude" is interactive interface. Am I right?

You are right.

> > Some people assure me that not.

Who are they and what are they telling?

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 07:40:22AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> The same text is found in Squeeze and Lenny's release notes, at the "What's new
> in the distribution?" chapter.  Have you considered to propose to the
> maintainers of the release notes to delete that part completely if you thing it
> is confusing, since it brings no new information at all ?

At one point we recommended aptitude for everything. Since it caused
some trouble in 2010, we settled for this new text quoted in the above.

See http://bugs.debian.org/411280

It was fixed to be in current text in 2010 as I recall.
So this text is from Sarge I think.

The essence of this long bug discussion can be summarized:

> Steve Langasek wrote in 2010 http://bugs.debian.org/411280#35
> I think it's clear that the behavior of aptitude in releases after etch has
> not been stable and predictable enough for us to recommend it in the release
> notes as a non-interactive upgrade interface.  I will submit a patch to the
> release notes to address this.

Osamu