Re: Interactive package management via aptitude

On Monday, April 08, 2013 11:02:27, Eugene Lychauka wrote:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.htm
> l#pkgmgmt
>
> Here we can read:
>
> "The preferred program for interactive package management from a
> terminal is aptitude. For a non-interactive command line interface for
> package management, it is recommended to use apt-get."
>
> What is meant by interactive interface and non-interactive interface
> here? I understand it as typing "aptitude install foo" is
> non-interactive interface, and the text-user interface of aptitude
> launched by typing "aptitude" is interactive interface. Am I right?

Yes.  aptitude has an interactive interface available, apt-get does not.

I think the point of the note in the release-notes is to point users to
aptitude for an interactive terminal package manager, rather than dselect.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us