Re: Multiple applications in one git repo

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Philip Hands wrote:
>
>> Might it be possible to do that with git-subtree, and then track the
>> application specific branch created by subtree as the upstream for each
>> package?
>
> I'm not familiar with this case, nor with git subtree but my favourite
> solution for multiple repositories is mr:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/mr

Mr's cute, but that assumes that the repositories are separate, which
seems is not the case (well, not until someone splits it up, which I'd
say probably isn't necessary, or even useful, if you use git subtree).

With git subtree, the repository for all the applications would be the
same one that contains the all-encompassing master branch -- it's just
that you can split the history out for each contained application, into
its own branch, which also allows commits either to the master or the
application branches to be carried across easily in either direction.

It seems like a much closer fit than mr, since it would allow the
upstreams to continue with their "work on everything at once" approach,
while allowing the packagers to only worry about applications one at a
time.

This write-up seems to cover the subject nicely:

  http://log.pardus.de/2012/08/modular-git-with-git-subtree.html

Cheers, Phil.