Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On 2013-04-02 09:50:23 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> writes:
>
> > There are various problems with experimental, in particular dependencies
> > are not necessarily listed,
>
> Huh?  I have no clue what you could possibly be talking about, unless
> you're just saying that some packages in experimental are critically
> buggy.

This was said in some Debian mailing-list. Not sure whether this
is done on purpose or this was meant to be a bug.

> > and upgrade from an experimental package is not supported (it generally
> > works, but the maintainer doesn't have to take that into account).
>
> This is a bizarre statement to me.  Why would you not take that into
> account as a maintainer?  I always have for everything I've uploaded to
> experimental.

IIRC, this was about a package that took care of an upgrade in its
postinst script (something like that), but the maintainer didn't
consider upgrade from experimental versions.

There was also this bug:

which was closed immediately (and has never been fixed), just because
some package from experimental was installed. The user is required to
correct the installation manually.