Re: role of unstable in releasing Debian (Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R)

While I realize that it's very hard to put off discussions when they're
raised in interesting-looking threads, this case in particular is one
where it's quite helpful socially to pick the right time to have this
discussion.

Absolutely nothing is going to change the release process for wheezy at
this point.  There will be some time before any possible freeze for
jessie, during which we can and should have this conversation.  Everyone
is on edge and tired at this point (as we always are) during the release
process, so during this very tail end of the release, particularly given
the tone of some of the earlier messages, this debate is quite likely to
make people defensive and annoyed.  Not only is that bad for everyone (we
should have fun working on Debian), but it also makes it much more likely
that any proposals for changes will be rejected.  No one is going to be in
an accepting mood right now.

In other words, this is a great conversation to have starting a couple of
weeks after the release when everything has calmed down and we're all
feeling euphoric and therefore optimistic and excited.  :)