Re: bugs.debian.org: something's wrong...

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Montag, 18. März 2013, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> > Now it's appearently back online, but a web tracking has been
>> > added, as seen in #703298. That's disgusting.
>> It's not tracking, it's showing an avatar. That's not quite the same thing.
>
> this is not tracking, those are facebook like buttons?!?
>
> Seriously, (I havent realized before) these embedded images from gravatar.com
> *are* webbugs, allowing automation.com to track BTS usage.
>
> I too find this totally unacceptable default (to have this enabled by default
> with just the not even yet implemented option to opt-out).
>
> Before filing a serious bug about this, I'd like to get some feedback what
> other think. (Too tired after traveling yesterday..)

I would have much preferred to have this disabled by default.
In short:
I don't see the BTS as a social website and thus I don't quite see the
value added by the pictures.
To the contrary, I see them as possibly causing prejudice based on
look and getting in the way of the - perhaps too romantic - view of
meritocracy in action.

But I don't understand that one could argue that:
- If you chose to have your picture on Gravatar, you chose to go
public and it's ok, and
- You can use a different email address to interact with the BTS.

The above are fine for the future. But the fact is that it's enabled
"retroactively" and "on" by default.
That's the part that makes me the most uncomfortable.

> And, I feel really sorry for Don that this feature which looked really nice at
> first sight has turned out to be so, aeh, difficult.

Same here. I've no doubt that was done with good intentions, thinking
that was a cool feature.

Cheers,

-Pascal
--