Re: multi-tarball packages in version control

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 02:03:48PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 09:57:16AM +0100, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > I mentioned, I would prefer to keep those files out of my packaging
> > archive: they hardly change, anyway.
> >
> > So, what do you do with multi-tarball packages? I keep a patched
> > svn-buildpackage, for now.
>
> You don't want the extra tarballs in your version control system and
> they hardly change. Then why have them as extra tarballs?

Upstream has.

> Extra tarballs is for software that is released in multiple components
> where the components are being released in lock step with each other.
>
> It sounds to me like in your case each component is released
> separately on their own schedule. In that case separate source
> packages would be better. That way you only need to upload the parts
> that have changed, buildds only need to build the parts that have
> changed, users only need to update the parts that have changed and so
> on. All around better for everyone.

They are all released together and have the same version number.

I don't include all of them. I would like to keep an option to add a
format in rev. 2 without uploading the equivalent of all the existing
tarballs.

tzafrir@debian.org    |                    | friend