Re: arm64 Debian/Ubuntu port image available

+++ Ian Campbell [2013-02-27 12:00 +0000]:
> On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 02:10 +0000, Wookey wrote:
> >
> > Setting up an arm64 build environment is very simple. Use sbuild-createchroot or mk-sbuild
> > and point at the bootstrap repo, with a bit of config and some updated tools packages from
> > the repo (amd64 only supplied). Details are given on
> > https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/CrossCompile/arm64bootstrap
>
> I think these are missing a "dpkg --add-architecture arm64" at some
> point before apt-get update / install crossbuild-essential-arm64 ?

Yes, good point. Now fixed on the wiki page, along with some
s/quantal/raring/

Sbuild will do this for you before updating/installing, but when doing
stuff manually in the chroot (as those instructions suggest for
pre-installing crossbuild-essential-arm64) you do indeed need to add
the foreign architecture(s).

> I tried to adjust those instructions to something similar for Sid + the
> debian-bootstrap repo but there were unmet dependencies of
> crossbuild-essential-arm64 (libc, pkgbinarymangler), but I get the
> impression that is to be expected at this stage?

You won't get anywhere in Sid at the moment: No prebuilt
cross-toolchain, and some of the multiarch info missing. If you
actually want to _use_ this (as opposed to fix it) then it has to be
raring.

I had to choose between getting this working in vaguely finite time
and keeping both Debian and Ubuntu bootstraps in sync, so unstable
just got stuck at the 'toolchain bootstrap needed' stage. Is raring
useful to you or do you need sid? Once the toolchain is done it
shouldn't be _too_ much work to get Debian uptodate although there
will be a _lot_ of patched packages.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/