Re: WebRTC has landed

On 24/02/13 01:01, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> writes:
>> - WebSockets carries the SIP signaling (e.g. to register the user
>> location, find the person you want to call).  WebSockets works through
>> HTTP proxies
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebRTC does not mention SIP at all. I
> assume SIP is just one way to use webrtc but it does not need to be
> used?

That is correct - SIP leverages a huge existing infrastructure of
softphones and desk phones and even mobile VoIP (like
http://www.lumicall.org)

In theory, WebRTC is JavaScript running in two web browsers.  As long as
the JavaScript code can learn the IP address of the peer, it can make a
call. So it could display it's own IP address on the web page, the users
could exchange IP addresses over SMS, then enter the IP remote addresses
in a form field, and that would be enough for the browsers to make a call.

>> and make your devices talk to each other without any relay.  If one
>> person is in an obscure location, the TURN server will act as a relay
>
> Aha, it seems the resiprocate-turn-server package is new in
> wheezy. Default configuration seems to listen on tcp port 3478. I guess
> port 443 should be used to maximize the probability that proxies will
> let websocket access it?

It could be configured that way, and if you had a very clever ICE client
implementation that knows how to use the HTTP CONNECT method, it would
work very widely indeed.