Re: WebRTC has landed

On 24/02/13 01:01, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> writes:
>> - WebSockets carries the SIP signaling (e.g. to register the user
>> location, find the person you want to call).  WebSockets works through
>> HTTP proxies
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebRTC does not mention SIP at all. I
> assume SIP is just one way to use webrtc but it does not need to be
> used?

That is correct - SIP leverages a huge existing infrastructure of
softphones and desk phones and even mobile VoIP (like

In theory, WebRTC is JavaScript running in two web browsers.  As long as
the JavaScript code can learn the IP address of the peer, it can make a
call. So it could display it's own IP address on the web page, the users
could exchange IP addresses over SMS, then enter the IP remote addresses
in a form field, and that would be enough for the browsers to make a call.

>> and make your devices talk to each other without any relay.  If one
>> person is in an obscure location, the TURN server will act as a relay
> Aha, it seems the resiprocate-turn-server package is new in
> wheezy. Default configuration seems to listen on tcp port 3478. I guess
> port 443 should be used to maximize the probability that proxies will
> let websocket access it?

It could be configured that way, and if you had a very clever ICE client
implementation that knows how to use the HTTP CONNECT method, it would
work very widely indeed.