Re: Graphic card installation problem

Check /var/log/XFree86.0.log and look for startup errors and ask
in a normal user channel.
-----------

Make sure X (X11R6, X.org) supports the graphics hardware you run
and also see if it's in Debian's harware list.  you might consider
returning it if they all say no.

I haven't heard of external graphics yet but maybe there's already
a driver for it.

I assume you get at least text graphics.

if you are trying for 3D then support must be enabled in kernel
so you can check that it is.  2D / VGA support is easier.
for 3D make sure modules are loaded if need be and if need be
any manufacturer things (ie, bus master enable binary is
necessary for a card i once used) are applied.

Check /var/log/XFree86.0.log and look for startup errors.
Read X.org about starting X and viewing the configuration
file it automatically makes (read the file it made).
you can find endless problem reports about 3D and X.org
(due to lacking drivers) on google.

Read material on www.X.org and or search google pertaining
to the kind of error you are having.

Martin Eberhard Schauer wrote:
> Hi. I've just bought a new notebook. It has an external graphic card: AMD > Radeon HD 7670M 2GB. I installed Ubuntu 12.10. I've been trying to install > the driver for more than 2 hours. However, I couldn't do it yet. When I try
 > to install the drivers that Ubuntu indicates, I reboot my PC, an error
 > occurs: You are using low-graphics... (like that). I also downloaded the
> driver from AMD web site. I faced this situation again. Please help me about
 > what I should do. Thanks in advance...

Hi,
I'm not DD or DM (yet), only an l10n contributor.

First of all, this is the wrong list for you. debian-devel is about the Debian
development and not for support.

As you use "downstream", you should primarily search for Ubuntu help (forums, LUGs, mailing lists). And whereever you ask for help: give as much information
as you can.

Which driver causes problems? Have you already searched information regarding
$(your driver) with $(search engine)? Did you look at the BTS/PTS? If your
problem is yet unknown, mail the packages maintainers or file a bug report.

Marin