Re: Building and using shared libraries using gccgo

On Tue, 05 Feb 2013, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 05.02.2013, 17:03 +0100 schrieb Adam Borowski:
> > Just imagine what would happen if libc6 would be statically
> > linked, and a security bug happens inside (like, in the stub
> > resolver). Rebuilding the world on every update might be viable
> > for a simple scientific task[1], but not at all for a
> > distribution.
>
> I agree that it is not desirable, but it is possible, and if it it
> were possible easily (e.g. with little human interaction), this
> would be an indicate of a very good infrastructure.

It's certainly possible, and our infrastructure enables us to even
consider doing it, but it's still a design flaw in the underlying
languages and their interfaces that should be addressed and resolved.

We need to be better at communicating to upstreams who are designing
and maintaining packages which do these kinds of things the problems
that it causes for people who want to use their packages in stable
production systems.

Don Armstrong

--
I really wanted to talk to her.
I just couldn't find an algorithm that fit.