Re: No native packages?

On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 22:25:18 +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org>, 2013-01-29, 20:31:
> > if you are going to patch the package you might as well do the one
> > line change from "3.0 (native)" to "3.0 (quilt)", and rename the
> > source tarball to add «.orig».
>
> That's a good solution for derivatives, not so much for NMUs or
> backports.

As I mentioned on my previous mail, I consider that a nice feature.
To me NMUing or backporting a native package is the equivalent of an
external and uninvolved person to send a mail to, say, the postgresql
developers, telling them that you've released a new version of the
upstream project for them... on the upstream server.

Taking into account that the distribution archive and BTS are the
hosting site for the native package, an NMU is a versionspace and
file release takeover, and stomps over previously released versions
and supercedes them, which might be confusing for downstreams (like
non-derivatives), as the NMU might end up being rejected, or
reimplemented in a different and incompatible way, etc.

Thanks,
Guillem