Re: Linux Future

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
Le mardi 22 janvier 2013 à 14:57 +0100, Svante Signell a écrit :
> Worthwhile to read, definitely.

Yet full of misinformation, like the idea that using D-Bus makes a
service less scriptable (while the reality is a complete opposite), or
that configuration files are less human-readable than shell scripts.

I guess his point is session bus vs system bus.

I have suffered myself services which offer some DBus calls only over the session bus, not the system bus, while my use case was exactly I needed to make those calls through the system bus for a variety of perfectly valid reasons. Had those services used a socket or pipe, which does not really care about session-available vs session-less, I wouldn't have had those problems.

DBus definitely has its place but IMHO it's being used too much, everywhere, one could say it's fashionable.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org