DEP3 Last-Update field without time?

Hi,

I'm working on python code to parse/generate a dep3[1] conforming patch
header[2]. Dep3 specifies the last-update field to not contain the time:

"This field can be used to record the date when the meta-information was last
updated. It should use the ISO date format YYYY-MM-DD."

I assume "ISO date format" refers to ISO 8601[3]. Is there any particular
reasond why the field should not include the time of the last update? I think
all relevant programming languages can parse and produce Datetime strings like
"2007-06-20T12:34:40+03:00".

It would avoid a few lines of code and a bit of inaccuracy if we could agree
that the last-update field may also include seconds resolution.

[1] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/
[2] https://github.com/thkoch2001/python-
debian/blob/thkoch/dep3_patch/lib/debian/dep3_patch.py
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

P.s. I'm a Python newby and appreciate any code review!

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro