Re: Rationale for gcc version in wheezy

http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2012/05/msg00175.html

http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2012/05/msg00250.html

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-gcc%40lists.debian.org&tag=ftbfs-gcc-4.7

> - Some (many) packages produce crashes?

Harder to identify, but possible. There have been problems with
optimisation levels with gcc-4.7 which were not a problem with earlier
versions of gcc. e.g. #667341 which caused the build to fail. I've no
idea if there are packages which demonstrate runtime bugs which can be
attributed to changes in optimisation.

> - There was simply not enough time? If this is the reason: Is there any
> chance it will be updated before release?

Seems unlikely. Time isn't amenable to being reclaimed, so if there
wasn't enough time some time earlier in the freeze, there's still not
enough time now when we are that much closer to an actual release.

> I could not find any information about it.

Search for debian wheezy "gcc-4.7" on
site:lists.debian.org/debian-release

--

Neil Williams