Re: debian/* license of non-free packages

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> In at least US law, and I'm fairly certain EU law as well, unless you
> have explicitly signed a legal contract to transfer your copyright
> interest to some other party, you still hold the copyright on every
> creative work that you've made, including any patches that you've
> written that qualify as creative works.  Whether or not you added a
> copyright, whether or not the modified files are marked as such, and
> even if someone else slapped their copyright notice on it.

I should have said here: modulo work for hire.  (That can be seen as just
a particularly common form of legal contract, but at least in the US it's
phrased differently: the copyright isn't transferred, but rather is always
held by the employer in a work-for-hire scenario.)