Re: debian/* license of non-free packages

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 09:56:10PM +0000, Bart Martens wrote:
> It's what happens in practice when I submit a patch upstream and don't say
> anything about my copyright.  Upstream integrates the patch in the upstream
> source code and redistributes the result with upstream copyright and license.
> I think that this happens quite a lot.

As mentioned already in this thread (by Russ, I think), the declared
copyright owner(s) and the actual, legally valid, copyright owner(s) of
a given contribution are not necessarily the same.

In fact, chasing who are the real copyright owner(s) is a significant
part of copyright litigations, including GPL enforcements. I know a
couple of DDs who have professionally worked on this kind of
activities. I can put you in touch with them if you want to know more
about how, in practice, one find outs who the real copyright owners
are. But the basics are what we can all imagine: inspecting VCS
histories, patch submission to public mailing lists and bug trackers,
etc.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .