Re: Updates in the very-old-stable

Neil,

I agree on all what you said (eg: difficulties in doing such a maintenance,
the fact we don't have unlimited manpower, etc.), but I'm still convince it
would be worth a try.

On 01/06/2013 04:39 AM, Neil Williams wrote:
> It's not about prohibiting updates, it's that most maintainers don't
> have time to support deprecated versions.

How about allowing anyone to work on any package in very-old-stable?

This might work at least for a few key packages, which some
users badly need. For example, I'd like to provide backports
for bind if it has a major hole (probably, I will care less
about things I don't use (yet) like DNSSEC, but I don't see
this as an issue). It's probable that others will want to
updates for apache, postfix, and stuff like that as well.
Anyone maintaining a large amount of servers will see value
in this (eg: better than nothing).
(My own target would be servers, not desktops)

The idea isn't to keep quality as high as we have for stable
or old-stable. The idea isn't to keep the same maintenance
rules either. It's about allowing what can be done to happen.

Please don't do again a very discouraging negative post.

Thomas