Re: Time to merge back ubuntu improvements!

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 5:09 AM, Mike Gabriel wrote:

> Slightly different approach: However, for serious server deployments we in
> Debian might want to think about supporting older releases a little longer
> than atm.
>
> A scheme like
>
>   veryoldstable -> oldstable -> stable -> testing -> unstable
>
> From the perspective of someone administrating several deployments a support
> range of 5 years would be very welcome. Like Ubuntu LTS (so that nobody can
> say, my mail is getting off-topic ;-) ). (The lifetime of lenny e.g. was
> apprx. 3 years.)

Please check out these links if you want to make this happen. Probably
an initial target of supporting oldstable for the same length of time
as stable (instead of just a year) is a good first goal to achieve
before adding more supported suites.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2011/msg00238.html
http://www.debian.org/News/2012/20120209
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianSecurity/Meetings/2011-01-14