Re: Time to merge back ubuntu improvements!

Hi Neil,

On Sa 05 Jan 2013 09:58:48 CET Neil Williams wrote:

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 14:03:25 +0800
Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

On 01/05/2013 09:50 AM, Paul Wise wrote:

> Please check out these links if you want to make this happen. Probably
> an initial target of supporting oldstable for the same length of time
> as stable (instead of just a year) is a good first goal to achieve
> before adding more supported suites.
I agree. It would be nice if it was at least possible to upload security
updates
right now to old-stable, even if that wasn't officially supported. At
least, this
would be a nice way to go forward (eg: based on "best effort", and without
forcing added work on anyone (yet)).

Debian cannot force added work on anyone, ever. All that happens is
that those who are overworked either "do their best" and get things
wrong or leave the project due to the stress of not getting things
wrong. Neither is "a nice way to go forward" and Debian has seen
plenty of both just in the time I've been involved.

Allowing unsupervised or unchecked random uploads outside the normal
procedures of a particular team puts additional strain on that team
because it will be the team who will be first contact for everyone
else when those uploads break stuff. There is every reason to regard
not following the procedures of a long-standing team as "breaking
stuff".

Those who are not proposing to do the work do not have the right to
impose work on those who do.

Additional work can created only by additional manpower or at the
request of those doing the work currently. (Even then, the rest of
Debian does have the responsibility to question if the request is
really within the ability of the team.) Debian has also been,
historically, quite bad at handling reductions in workload when teams
become too small to function.

I fully get your point here. I would not suggest some extra feature implementing extra workload for some of the teams if I wasn't willing to help out. Either in the teams directly or compensating in some other corner of Debian.

However, I am currently in NM process, so this comes first. Then I will see to my packaging projects (and Debian Edu wheezy), then pop up at next DebConf and then offer help. For me, gaining experience comes first. But then I will be happy to help out!

light+love,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM