Re: Time to merge back ubuntu improvements!

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:09:42PM +0100, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi Alberto, hi all,

Hi Mike

> On Do 03 Jan 2013 19:18:27 CET alberto fuentes wrote:
>
> >Ubuntu has done some poor decisions but it has done some other that are
> >okay. We should consider merging some of them back.
> >Im thinking about the 6 months release thing. Without further ado, here's
> >the proposal pre-draft:
> >
> >_Proposal_:
> >Add a new release stage between stable and testing. Called usable or
> >whatever name we find fit for it
> >
> >stable <- <usable> <- testing <- sid
>
> I use Debian backports for squeeze a lot at the moment and I must
> say this satisfies my needs perfectly. Would that be an option for
> you instead of injecting some inbetween releases?
>
> The stable installer / system core of Debian stable and then
> additionally a great choice of recent software from backports. Works
> perfectly, even for end customers of mine.
>
> Slightly different approach: However, for serious server deployments
> we in Debian might want to think about supporting older releases a
> little longer than atm.
>
> A scheme like
>
>   veryoldstable -> oldstable -> stable -> testing -> unstable
>
> From the perspective of someone administrating several deployments a
> support range of 5 years would be very welcome. Like Ubuntu LTS (so
> that nobody can say, my mail is getting off-topic ;-) ). (The
> lifetime of lenny e.g. was apprx. 3 years.)

Well LTS from Ubuntu sounds quite cool but as far as I know the 5 year
support period is only for the core system, and quite for good reasons:
Today most software tends to have rapid development cycles and bugs and
security problems mostly get fixed through new releases. Keeping up with
backporting patches for such a long period can become a real PITA...

> Regards + Greets,
> Mike

Kind regards
Harald