Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

 ❦  8 août 2012 16:56 CEST, "Andrej N. Gritsenko" <andrej@rep.kiev.ua> :

>>Then, what do you use to list multiple IPs on a single interface?
>>ifconfig simply doesn't support it.
>
>     In fact, I have multiple IPs on a single interface right now on the
> machine where I write this letter. And I never used 'ip' before for
> configuring it and probably I never will. Have you ever heared of such
> thing as 'interface alias'? It's what I always used on *BSD, Linux, and
> other *nix systems. And yes, command 'ifconfig' shows me those IPs too.
> So I would say, such very distro-specific tool as 'ip' will never ever
> can be called as 'standard' one. I'm sorry.

Many tools will not use interface aliases. On the top of my head,
automatic IPv6 configuration, DHCP clients and routing daemons. However,
interface aliases are also useful for ifupdown.
--
HARDFAIL("Not enough magic.");
        2.4.0-test2 /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/nbd.c