Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

David Given <david.given@gmail.com> writes:

> Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>> Exactly what do you need from sbin as a user?
>
> I use stuff from sbin as user all the time. A quick glance at /sbin
> shows these commands that I use on a regular basis:
>
> blkid
> fdisk
> all the fscks
> all the mkfss
> hdparm
> ifconfig (before this discussion I'd never even *heard* of ip)
> iwconfig
> mount.cifs
> parted
> route
> showmount
>
> Like the parent, I add /sbin and /usr/sbin to my path immediately after
> installing a new Debian system.

But, you know what those commands do, and I think we can agree, that
most - if not all - of them are quite close to being tools for the
admin, even if they don't necessarily require root. A 'regular' user on
a multi-user system will not likely need any of them.

It *might* make sense to (optionally) add */sbin to the PATH of the
first user installed. I wouldn't add it for everyone else too, however.