Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On 08/08/2012 09:20 PM, Ulrich Dangel wrote:
> Not all programs in
> the sbin directories require root privileges.

Then they have nothing to do in sbin. I'm serious:
*please file a bug* !!! :)

> It is about providing good defaults for users.

Agreed. Which is why you should file a bug so that
such tool which you miss in bin should be moved
away from sbin. That doesn't mean we should do it
for *all* of the tools.

What would be the point, for example, to have these
accessible to the user:
- depmod/insmod/etc.
- swapon/swapoff
- agetty
- init
- etc.

The point of having sbin *is* to have things away
from the user's path, IMO. If that doesn't fit for some
of the tools you use, then, again, please file a bug
against the relevant packages. But please, don't make
it a general case. That's just wrong.

Otherwise, we should do what Russ is proposing:
merge sbin completely and put everything in bin.
Because what would be the point of sbin then?

Cheers,

Thomas