Re: Debian Installer 7.0 Beta1 release

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 20:41:31 +0200
Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:

> A virtualbox host environment would be detected automatically, and the
> following packages would get installed in that case:
>   virtualbox-guest-dkms
>   virtualbox-guest-utils
>   virtualbox-guest-x11
>   virtualbox-ose-guest-x11

$ dpkg-query -W virtualbox-guest-dkms virtualbox-guest-utils
virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-ose-guest-x11

virtualbox-guest-dkms	 4.1.18-dfsg-1
virtualbox-guest-utils	 4.1.18-dfsg-1
virtualbox-guest-x11     4.1.18-dfsg-1
virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 4.1.18-dfsg-1

> If one enabled “3D acceleration” in the VM config, Gnome 3 shows up in
> normal mode

3D acceleration is enabled for this VM but GNOME3 doesn't work for me.

I have tried simply rebooting the VM (to simulate someone adding
relevant hardware to a desktop PC) and I've tried re-running the
installer. No change, no support.

Lenovo Thinkpad T410.

I did once have GNOME3 running on this machine outside a VM, so the
hardware is capable of providing 3D acceleration - indeed, it was the
user experience of using 3D which turned me off GNOME3 in the first
place. Sorry, but my display is 2D and all the software pretence in the
world isn't going to suddenly make it 3D.

>; if one didn't, it shows up in fallback mode (one can see
> Gallium llvmpipe as graphic driver in the gnome system properties,
> instead of Chromium).

Still got Gallium llvmpipe listed.

--

Neil Williams