Re: Debian Installer 7.0 Beta1 release

On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 17:15 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
[...]
> I tried in a standard VM (Debian package from sid) with a complete
> default netinst i386 install. The installer worked flawlessly but
> GNOME3 had a problem:
>
> "GNOME3 Failed to Load
> Unfortunately GNOME3 failed to start properly and started in the
> fallback mode.
>
> This most likely means your system (graphics hardware or driver) is not
> capable of delivering the full GNOME 3 experience."
>
> That's going to make testing Wheezy CD images annoying. Anyone else see
> this problem? I tried logging in under GNOME and GNOME Classic - the
> warning didn't show again but the UI didn't show any visible change, it
> appears that only fallback/classic is available. Can someone using
> GNOME3 in Wheezy verify that this is expected behaviour?

This is expected in the absence of 3D acceleration, which is not yet
supported in qemu so far as I know.  VirtualBox is supposed to support
it, but a standard installation presumably won't pull in the necessary
paravirtual drivers in the guest.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed.