Re: Debian Installer 7.0 Beta1 release

On 08/05/2012 05:45 AM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> So we require 3d acceleration for a default install? I think that is
> even more
> insane than what recent windows versions require. Can we please have a
> sane
> default desktop for people with older hardware? Maybe just chosen in d-i,
> depending on the hardware.

GNOME3 defaults are indeed insane, but nobody forces you to use GNOME3.
Also, Debian isn't at fault, we aren't the upstream for GNOME3, we just
happen
to support it.

The only thing I don't like is that d-i (or should I say tasksel?) hides
which
desktop will be installed when you select "Graphical environment". IMO, a
sane default would be something like: "Graphical environment using
${whatever} desktop". Has this been considered? Or has this changed
already since last time I tried?

Thomas