Re: RFC: Why are so many debian packages outdated?

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 01:20:24 +0200
Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 15:58 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> writes:
> > > On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > This would be a case where I think liberal NMUing would certainly be
> > > appropriate (of course prior to the freeze).
> >
> > Yeah, I guess that makes sense, *if* the person doing the NMU then owns
> > any bugs they introduce and of course doesn't do anything drastic like
> > rewriting the build system.  And provides plenty of warning.
>
> Please, what can I do being a _contributor_ compared to  these "high
> level package maintainers", except filing bug reports. Please advice a
> stupid user who just wants to be using Debian as a GNU/* release(and
> having recent software in them) .

Change tack.

Look at the list of RC bugs and see if you can come up with anything
useful about the problem. There are enough of them, everyone should be
able to do something about some of them.

Can you reproduce it?

Can you identify anything about why it happens?

Can you clarify that it really is the fault of the specified package
and not due to some other package?

Can you add anything about workarounds or possible solutions?

Just reading the LONG list of RC bugs would be something. It would
occupy your time much more usefully than that little button marked
"Send".

Out of date packages in Wheezy *do not matter* because it's too late
now. Do something to help get Wheezy out by helping to fix RC bugs!

That will gain you merit which will be useful when we can do something
about new upstream releases - AFTER our own release.

--

Neil Williams