Re: CD sizes again (and BoF reminder!)

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:42:03AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Hideki Yamane wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 17:58:16 +0200
> > Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> > >   • xz -6 (the default) is a lot slower when compressing, fast when
> > >     decompressing, needs only 10MB memory, 58% size
> > >   • xz -9 has very slow compression, takes gobs of memory, 56% size
> > >     (Obviously, the "size" numbers are dragged down by uncompressible files
> > >     when you look at the whole archive.)
> >
> >  I tested as well, and sometimes decompression with xz is so sloooow,
> >  it takes 6-8 times than default gz.
>
> I was just watching your DebConf presentation "Lets shrink Debian
> package archive" and I think there you said decompression with xz was
> between 2x and 6x slower. Is that the current number?

Here are the numbers, of decompressing alone (rather than, say, a
debootstrap run).  User times only, best of three tries.

                size  amd64  armel
a 99MB unstripped executable
gzip [-6]   38070471   0.75  10.51
gzip -9     37985726   0.74  10.41
xz -0       30007128   2.34  20.10
xz -2       24861804   1.92  17.39
xz [-6]     21921888   1.84  16.82
xz -9       21026804   1.77  16.23
25MB of /dev/urandom
gzip [-6]   26218418   0.11   3.25
gzip -9     26218418   0.12   3.27
xz -0       26215764   0.02   0.43
xz -2       26215764   0.02   0.59
xz [-6]     26215760   0.02   0.47
xz -9       26215760   0.01   0.51
100MB of /dev/zero
gzip [-6]     101791   0.40   4.74
gzip -9       101791   0.39   4.69
xz -0          15388   0.31   3.82
xz -2          15388   0.31   4.07
xz [-6]        15388   0.31   4.03
xz -9          15388   0.33   4.01

There are two interesting pieces here:
* higher compression settings tend to improve speed (I suspected the
  opposite...)
* xz seems to have a special case for incompressible data

> It would be useful to have some real-world installation time benchmarks
> with and without xz.

It is said that decompression is a small part of install time, I did not
test that.

> BTW, when we switched to building udebx with xz, Philipp Kern benchmarked
> it using little or no additional CPU to decompress xz produced with
> -Zxz -z1 -Sextreme http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2011/10/msg00247.html

Per the above, you'd want a higher setting than -1.  With the default (-6),
you need just 10MB memory to decompress.

--
Copyright and patents were never about promoting culture and innovations;
from the very start they were legalized bribes to give the king some income