Re: CD sizes again (and BoF reminder!)

Hi,

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 17:58:16 +0200
Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
>   • xz -6 (the default) is a lot slower when compressing, fast when
>     decompressing, needs only 10MB memory, 58% size
>   • xz -9 has very slow compression, takes gobs of memory, 56% size
>     (Obviously, the "size" numbers are dragged down by uncompressible files
>     when you look at the whole archive.)

 I tested as well, and sometimes decompression with xz is so sloooow,
 it takes 6-8 times than default gz.

> Also, switching to XZ debs is not just a CD issue, doing so would
> drastically reduce the resource usage of mirrors.

 Truely yes, it is benefit for mirrors.
 If we use xz for top 50 packages, we can cut 30% of traffic.

--
Hideki Yamane <henrich@debian.or.jp>
https://penta.debconf.org/penta/schedule/dc12/event/930.en.html :)