Re: Recommends for metapackages

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jo, 12 iul 12, 12:10:29, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>>
>> Erm, how have I broken my system? I did not. (Turning Install-Recommends
>> off is definitely not breaking my system, FYI.)
>
> It means you are running with a non-default configuration and you should
> be aware of the side-effects.

I am aware of side-effects, thank you. I turn it off because of the
side-effects. That does not make my system broken, however.

> Please don't forget that a Recommends will pull in packages in all but
> unusual installations :)

But also keep in mind, that once a package is installed, adding new
recommends will not pull those new things in on an upgrade.

I do not think upgrade is an unusual situation, fwiw. For stable, it is,
for everything else, not so much. But half the arguments for Recommends
(with regards to meta-packages) are invalid for stable anyway.

The only valid argument for stable is that apt-get remove gnome will
want to remove a whole bunch of stuff. My counter argument is that doing
so is safer than screwing up the user's system.