Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 2012-07-10 18:10, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> The very purpose of a meta-package is to _ensure_ that a certain set of
> packages is installed, not just recommend them: All (not only most)
> users of that package need all its dependencies satisfied

My definition of meta-package is less strict than yours. I as user
sometimes want '[meta]package X, but without packages Y and Z', and your
definition absolutely rules that out.

I saw many questions on forums like

"I did '$packagemanager install $metapackage' and then after
'$packagemanager remove $singlepackage', why $packagemanager now wants
to remove all $metapackage?"

, so I know I'm not alone. Using Recommends for non-core parts of
metapackages' dependencies would nicely solve that.

C++ GNU/Linux developer, Debian Developer