Re: Recommends for metapackages

Hi,

Le 12/07/12 11:06, Gergely Nagy a écrit :
> Lets consider another case! Suppose I have Install-Recommends turned on,
> and install a theoretical meta package, that has half of its stuff in
> recommends, because they're not strictly necessary, but merely enhance
> the system. Lets suppose one of these enhancements include a tool I use
> every once in a while, but not daily.

A later upgrade to your beloved meta-package could very well drop this
dependency. If that's a tool that you know you want, I strongly suggest
you mark it as manually installed.

> As for why I wouldn't notice? Because I trust the system to do the right
> thing, and I do automatic, unattended upgrades. Not an uncommon thing to
> do, I believe.

You should always check what your package manager wants to remove. In my
experience, more often than not, aptitude tries to remove the full gnome
metapackage because of a temporarily unavailable depends.

Regards, thibaut.