dropping ia32-libs [Was, Re: this bug .. bugs me]

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 04:14:56PM -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Wed 06 Jun 2012 15:16:26 Steven Post escribió:
> [snip]
> > Reading this I assume ia32-libs will be removed from Debian (with which
> > I completely agree btw), what about packages outside of Debian that
> > currently depend upon ia32-libs? To name a certain package: skype. Its
> > AMD64 package from the official website depends on it.
> > Can we work around this somehow? I'm in no way affiliated with upstream
> > here, but looking at their particular history I don't expect any update
> > soon with a proper solution.

> Disclaimer: I'm not througly following multiarch stuff.

> Well, if Debian removes ia32-libs and friends, most surely Ubuntu will follow
> (if not there already). Then I think those third parties who depend on it
> should start thinking about doing the correct thing: release a new package.

> My two cents, Lisandro.

Ubuntu has already had a release in which ia32-libs is a transitional
package; and for the past two Ubuntu releases, the amd64 skype package has
not integrated correctly with the desktop (because it has Recommends that
must be satisfied by i386 packages that aren't part of ia32-libs).

So I guess we shouldn't expect this situation to change in the near future.
OTOH, if Debian drops ia32-libs entirely, then the wrong package won't be
installable and users would *have* to install the right one (the i386 one),
so there's that at least.