Re: Packaging a new release of released SW, not considered by the DM?

On Friday 01 June 2012 09:16:35 Svante Signell wrote:
> Regarding DMs the non-responsiveness of some of them is frustrating,
> they don't bother to comment on any of the bug reports. Is that the
> way a DM is supposed to work?

I don't think so.

> And with the recent discussions on d-devel
> about hijacking etc it seems that if you are a DM for a package is set
> in stone *forever*.

There's a middle ground between hijacking and letting a package rot: Debian
developers reference provides instructions to deal with "inactive
and/or unreachable maintainers" [1]. I know from experience that
following this process is an exercice is patience, but it's the
best way to deal with maintainers which may be distracted by, well,
real life events.

> I really wonder if Debian is for me at all. There are other free
> software distributions, Ubuntu, Redhat Fedora, Mandriva, etc. I've been
> contributing there before. And there are even really free software
> distributions. So why stick to Debian?

Heh, I could give you an answer, but it would be valid only for me ;-)

All the best

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/beyond-pkging.html#mia-qa

--
https://github.com/dod38fr/config-model/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/