Re: Packaging a new release of released SW, not considered by the DM?

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 17:40 -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Svante Signell dijo [Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:45:13PM +0200]:
> > > It's *usually* not what you want to do. There are several cases where
> > > different versions of the same program are available in Debian, and I
> > > am unfamiliar with the case at hand, but it's usually where a specific
> > > older version of a package is depended upon by large amounts of
> > > software, and changes in new versions are not compatible. They often
> > > bring in maintenance hell issues.

One example is to upload a new release to experimental, not sid! Being
there does not automatically make it progress to sid, tesing and stable
does it?

> > > In this case, you should discuss with the DM about the "whatever
> > > reason" you mention, maybe bring it up here (so it gets wider exposure
> > > and more informed people get to have a say). You can ultimately ask
> > > the Technical Committee, but that's a venue of action very seldom
> > > taken (and I think that even "very seldom" might be an overstatement).

Well the DM is *non-responsive*, what to do?

> > Thank you for your time,
> >
> > Fortunately, I'm not a hurd porter any longer an whatever you choose to
> > do it is not longer my business. Thank you for your attention
>
> Huh‽
>
> Well, the original question I replied to was posted by you... I fail
> to understand your answer. There was no mention of any specific
> program, architecture, kernel or whatever.

Just to clarify, I have been contributing with bug reports and patches
for various packages, etc for a long time. I'm not a DM or DD.

Regarding DMs the non-responsiveness of *some* of them is frustrating,
they don't bother to comment on _any_ of the bug reports. Is that the
way a DM is supposed to work? And with the recent discussions on d-devel
about hijacking etc it seems that if you are a DM for a package is set
in stone *forever*.

I really wonder if Debian is for me at all. There are other free
software distributions, Ubuntu, Redhat Fedora, Mandriva, etc. I've been
contributing there before. And there are even really free software
distributions. So why stick to Debian?