Re: [pkg-lighttpd] Changing the default document root for HTTP server

On 04/17/2012 04:38 AM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> The new document root is supposed to be the default vhosts document
> root (there is no need to distinguish between default vhost and no
> vhost). Other vhosts can be put in other sub directories in /var/www/,
> like /var/www/www.example.com or /var/www/vhosts/example.com/htdocs,
> just like the admin prefers it.

It all depends what you do, but if you do massive hosting (eg, a shared
hosting server), then you'll be tempted to do:

/var/www/sites/$USERNAME/example.com/subdomains/www/html

which is what I decide to do, but which would be too much for a "normal"
use. So yes, we can't, and shouldn't force, any scheme.

> In this regard, /var/www/default would be the most logical name, IMHO.
> But we thought that not inventing yet another docroot directory name
> would be better, and therefore suggested /var/www/html. But the actual
> name does not matter, as long as it's a sub directory of the directory
> for all vhosts.

As pointed earlier, /var/www/html has the advantage to exist in other
distributions, so it's a good choice!

Thomas