Re: wine-unstable in Debian

On Sun, 2012-04-15 at 19:32 +0600, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 01:18:28PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
> >   I am rather dazzled that while there is working source package
> > of wine-1.5 ready, other people are working on gradually packaging
> > wine-1.1.x releases;
> I'm surprised that not everyone involved is such dazzled.
>
> >   Also, it seems the current direction of that discussion is still to
> > make the package "perfect" first and upload it then rather than vice
> > versa,
> It seems to *me*, that the current direction is not just to make the
> package perfect, but to package tons of obsolete versions first. The
> combined result is that unfortunate but familiar situation when a package
> is theoretically perfect but doesn't exist in the distribution.

I think we are doing our users and upstream a disservice when we fail to
package new stable releases for a long time, particularly in the run-up
to a freeze.

If WINE 1.0 or 1.1 works better for some applications, perhaps it should
be kept around as an alternate version.  But please let's have a recent
upstream stable release as default (i.e. what 'apt-get install wine'
will install).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.