Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> I wrote:
>> Or to put it another way: if currently
>>   libfoo1 (1.1) contains and needs /usr/share/libfoo1/foo-data-1.1
>>   libfoo1 (1.2) contains and needs /usr/share/libfoo2/foo-data-1.2
>> then splitting the foo-data out into
>>   libfoo1-data (1.1) <-depends- libfoo1 (1.1)
>>   libfoo1-data (1.2) <-depends- libfoo1 (1.2)
>> means that when the libfoo packages are upgraded, there will be a
>> substantial period when we have /usr/lib/libfoo1.so.1.2 installed and
>> the symlink libfoo1.so.1 points to it, but
>> /usr/share/libfoo2/foo-data-1.2 is missing.
>
> ... or vice versa, of course.  How long this situation persists will
> vary.
>
> Ian.

I would say that if it is critical for the lib, esspecially essential
ones, that the data exists then it should be arch qualified and kept in
the library package, even if that means duplicating it in the archive
and the users system.

Don't forget that splitting isn't the only options. We can combine
multiple ways to deal with this. I don't beleave any single way will
work for all packages so lets find a good combination of things so that
everybody is happy.

MfG
        Goswin