Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 10:29:53PM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > But the more interesting slowdown is that the amount of packages is general
> > slows down apt operations in a rate that is around O(dependencies^2) (pure guess,
> > perhaps someone has better knowledge?). We do remember apt-get slowing down
> > to crawl on maemo platforms with much smaller repositories..

> Well, if we take the number of new packages Steve quoted (even w/o
> taking into account the stuff I mentioned that could be reduced), and
> round it to 200 new packages, that's really insignificant compared to
> the amount of packages one will inject into apt per new foreign arch
> configured. I really fail to see the issue here.

That's based on a sample of 1200 packages currently tagged Multi-Arch: same
in the Ubuntu precise archive.  If we have all packages in sections libs and
libdevel converted for multiarch (which I suppose we eventually will), this
number will be closer to 7000.  Does 700 more of these support packages
approach the level that it starts to be a problem?