Re: Summary: dpkg shared / reference counted files and version match

Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 11:41:58 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

>> That is a bug and ought to be fixed in its own right. Then, the
>> discussion of how much we should rely on it or not is a different one,
>> but it's good to separate the concerns.

> As mentioned on the summary, this is not specific to gzip (even if gzip
> could pickup development in the future), it is a general problem that
> extends to any other compressors and generated files too, for example
> docs (POD, html, etc), etc.

Yeah, generated documentation potentially also varies in annoying ways.
Man pages generated from POD, for example, will be different if the
version of Pod::Man or Pod::Simple used to generate them is different,
which could easily happen across a point release of Perl, and hence across
a binNMU.  I suspect Doxygen is even more fragile (although somewhat less
likely to be included directly in a -dev package rather than a separate
-docs package because it's larger).