Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:13:20 +0100
Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 13:19:17 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Well, it does mean that you might be lacking important information
> > because the other changelog wouldn't be present on the system.

> Instead of this, I'd rather see the shared files approach just dropped
> completely, and /usr/share/doc/ files for “Multi-Arch: same” packages
> be installed under /usr/share/doc/pkgname:arch/. This would solve all

I agree with this for /usr/share but I don't think the shared files
approach should be dropped entirely - /usr/include is one place where
it will be very helpful and appears to be working properly already.

> these problems in a clean way for the common case with just the two or
> three mandated files (changelog, changelog.Debian and copyright), if
> a package provides lots more files then they should be split anyway

This works for shared library packages - it is -dev packages which
still need the shared files approach.

--

Neil Williams